Riot / Rioting Charges in NSW
It is imperative to seek legal advice if you are charged with riot, the court can impose serious penalties for this offence.
George Sten & Co lawyers have over 50 years of experience in criminal law and are available 24 hours a day on 9261 8640 or 0412 423 569.
CRIMES ACT 1900 – SECT 93B
(1) Where 12 or more persons who are present together use or threaten unlawful violence for a common purpose and the conduct of them (taken together) is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his or her personal safety, each of the persons using unlawful violence for the common purpose is guilty of riot and liable to imprisonment for 15 years.
(2) It is immaterial whether or not the 12 or more persons use or threaten unlawful violence simultaneously.
(3) The common purpose may be inferred from conduct.
(4) No person of reasonable firmness need actually be, or be likely to be, present at the scene.
(5) Riot may be committed in private as well as in public places.
Based in Sydney’s CBD, George Sten & Co are experienced criminal defence lawyers who analyse all aspects of your case and advise whether there is enough evidence against you to prove you ‘guilty’ in court. Being charged with a riot offence is extremely serious, and is the most serious of violence disorder offences. Our expert team know that just because you are charged with a riot offence, it does not necessarily mean you are guilty. Someone can be easily charged with a riot offence.
- must involve 12 or more people present together who use or threaten violence for a common purpose
- does not need to be in a public place
- does not need a person of reasonable firmness to be present
- applies only if a person intends to use violence or is aware that their conduct may be violent.
George Sten & Co fight for your rights, know your case inside and out and believe that every person is entitled to the best legal defence. Our lawyers have extensive courtroom experience and exceptional trial skills. Call us now on 9261 8640 or 0412 423 569.
Related Information on Riot
More information to come...